Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

The Scoop on Poop

Sorry I didn't post yesterday, I wound up running errands and having appointments for the kids.

I wanted to talk about fertilizer a bit. There are tons of them out there, so how do you know which one to get. I haven't gone out and bought any yet this year, but these are the things that I look for when I go out. There is usually some wiggle room with the last one, but not the other ones.

1. Organic
2. Chemical Free
 (these aren't always the same, you would be surprised!)
3. Water soluble (I can put it in the watering can)

Now, there are other things to take into consideration, I like all-purpose fertilizer. Some people however prefer having a different kind for each so that they get "the best" crop out of everything. Most of the quality all-purpose ones however will save you cash and you will get similar results to the individualized products.

Keep in mind here though that I only purchase the best quality fertilizer I can afford. In most cases you will get what you pay for when it comes to feeding your plants, there are exceptions to the rule, but I haven't had any luck finding them. You can go to your green house for recommendations if you have any doubts.

Of course, there is always the good old fashioned way of feeding your plants. Manure! We hate the smell, but love the way it makes our food taste! In some areas manure is not ideal. You don't want to be hauling a  50 lb bag to the 15th+ floor of your apartment building. And some neighbors even in the suburbs can become pains about the smell and try to turn you into the health department..... But, it was used for centuries before all the fancy stuff you find in the store. It truly is the tried and true!

You can also purchase fertilizer already in the soil, but I only do this for flowers that are not going to be eaten. The jury is still out as to whether these may cause problems down the road. The general consensus for the spray on stuff is that chemicals are bad, so I decided to play it safe and apply good clean organic food to my food plants.

Start researching now! Spring will be here before you know it!

No comments: