Search This Blog

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Day 2: Growing Zones

Now that you know that there are different ways to plant the different seeds you need to know what can be planted in your area. This is determined by "Growing Zones". I live in Wyoming, and that is mostly in Zone 4. America mostly has Zones 2-10. That may seem like it will make choosing what to grow hard, but actually most plants have multi-zone planting ranges. Allot of seeds that I see where I live are grown best between 6-3. If you do find some that are only designated for a single zone it could be that this is the only zone it has developed in, or that the label is giving you the median. This means that it can grow on the zones on either side with a little more difficulty, but you probably don't want to try it farther then that.

http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/

This is the easiest map I found to read, I'm sure there are more out there I just haven't found them yet. And actually this map breaks down the zones even further into a/b micro-zones. I'm sure the micro-zone setup would probably benefit a professional gardener or farmer more then it would us hobbyists, but if you ever need to know, it's there!

Also, keep in mind that if the map doesn't make any sense that you don't have to give up on planting even a single pot of flowers! Call or visit your local greenhouse, these people live for plants! They know where you are and which plants are the best and/or easiest to grow.

One last word really quickly..... You DON'T HAVE TO START YOUR PLANTS FROM SEEDS! If you don't have the time or patience go for the live plants! I have for years because I was working so many hours it was easier to have one or two to take care of that were already started. Again, visit the greenhouse, go to the local "super-center", or even the grocery store. Most of them will start getting live plants in around April, ask the gardening departments or head gardener for more accurate dates. Be prepared that they might not be in on time, or may come in early, it depends on local weather trends as to when they will be made available.

Good Luck! If there are any topics you are curious about or want me to cover sooner then later let me know. I don't know there are questions unless I get asked. And if I don't already know I will find someone who does, either way I will try not to leave anyone hanging!

No comments: